Anonymous said: When we gonna get a full view?

When I can drag it outside and get the tank on!

One of the most fiddly jobs on the bike so far: pulled apart the master cylinder and rebuilt it using a kit. Took hours of fiddling to get the c-clip out as did not have a clip puller thin enough. Make sure the wire clip that holds in the rubber boot is removed first as you’ll never get the c-clip out! Putting it all back together  the wire clip kept moving past the rubber boot. Turn top of boot inside-out so it can slip all the way down, put on wire clip, press brake down with something and pop rubber boot back around the right way. 

Jacked the bike back up for about the 8 millionth time and fiddled around with the rear brakes. Got them working by adjusting the screw. Might need new pads soon but works enough for now.

So finally have a neutral light. Went crazy testing every piece of the circuit from the switch to dash light. Finally realized the switch only grounds the wire - wired it up backwards (so the negative wire went to the switch instead of ground) and it worked. The instructions that come with the speedo are wrong.

So finally have a neutral light. Went crazy testing every piece of the circuit from the switch to dash light. Finally realized the switch only grounds the wire - wired it up backwards (so the negative wire went to the switch instead of ground) and it worked. The instructions that come with the speedo are wrong.

After putting the brakes back on and bleeding them they didn’t work very well at all. Pulling them apart looks like a complete rebuild is needed of the master cylinder and the caliper. Here’s some of the caliper parts cleaned up.

After putting the brakes back on and bleeding them they didn’t work very well at all. Pulling them apart looks like a complete rebuild is needed of the master cylinder and the caliper. Here’s some of the caliper parts cleaned up.

nofunerals said: Why wouldn’t you take those earth wires to ground, instead of taping them?

The aftermarket turn signals had two wires for positive and ground. I used the original Honda hardware which are already grounded via pre attached wires. Is a neater result but I didn’t want to cut the new wires totally in case needed them later so just trimmed and taped them off.

  1. sinceseventyseven said: I like your idea to splice the coil wires, but if they ever go bad, new repro XS650 coils are easy to fit in there and have worked well for me. All of my honda coil wires are crusty from age.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll see how these work out but that’s a good idea.

For something different I’m going with Napoleon brand bar end mirrors sourced from DCC. 

All wiring done! Such a relief to tuck in all those wires and get the headlight back on. Looks like a bike again.

All wiring done! Such a relief to tuck in all those wires and get the headlight back on. Looks like a bike again.

Tidied up all the wiring. Sealed off any unused earth wires. Checked all connections

Tidied up all the wiring. Sealed off any unused earth wires. Checked all connections